Finding Pollen in Tobacco

I'm a little slow posting here that Tennessee Archaeology has published a new article in which I'm second author. You can access the article by clicking on the image below (or you can access it by clicking on it in my past climate section). This is a project that came up after my colleague, Stephen Carmody, approached me and asked if it was possible to extract pollen from a pipe that had been smoked. It took some experimentation, but I was able to develop a method of extraction that seems to work well. It would be fun to try this technique on other pipes from the west. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions about this work or ideas for further applications of this. I realize this work doesn't tell us anything about past climate, but I'm always excited to try to develop new techniques.

 A selection of the pipes that we used to see if there was any tobacco pollen in them.

A selection of the pipes that we used to see if there was any tobacco pollen in them.